Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

If I posted as much as I wanted to...

Its really redundant to say how busy I have been. If you have or ever had a garden you know now is when there is so much to do. It is finally dying down a bit. Heres a couple pics of the tomatoes.



The sales of plants is now over and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at how much I sold. I will for sure be doing this next year with a couple of changes. First off I now have a good feel for what people are looking for, so I have a mental list going of what I will be starting. Second, I will probably only sell at the end of the driveway. I'm sure by next spring I will want to cart the plants across the county to sell at least once but for now I say no, it's so much easier to just leave them out there. Third, the plants will be out a lot earlier. I've told a lot of people who stopped that they can look for it next year so it should turn out well. And finally I will place signs at a couple more intersections. Some people said that they usually go down another road and they just happened by, so more advertising.

I feel a small victory for turning on people to some new tomatoes that they had never heard of and it was nice to know that people appreciated the heirlooms and organic plants that I had. There will be a nice list of heirlooms for next year and plenty of peppers. Everybody was looking for those peppers, I felt bad telling everyone I didn't have them.

There was a small amount of tomatoes and broccoli left. Im sure someone would have bought the toms but they were at the point where they needed potted up and i'm just not into that right now so they are all getting planted. I just have a few left to put in, and this means that I will have tomatoes for sale later on in the season. I want to take them to the farmers market and see what comes of that. Or theres the table at the end of the drive, that sounds even easier.

On to the next project, i've been reading lately about keeping rabbits for meat. I'm not sure if i'm one hundred percent sold yet but I really like the idea of it. They don't take much space, are relatively inexpensive to feed and make babies like, well rabbits. Theres a couple breeds that seem to be the most popular to keep, I feel like I should opt for the less attractive ones as if that will help the processing process. Rabbits have a tad more protein than chicken and a bit less calories, that partnered with the amount you can process a year and the amount of space they take up it seems like a likely addition to our baby homestead. Any other option for meat besides the chickens just seems like too large of an animal for us to take care of, it may just be fear but keeping a couple big pigs just seems a bit out of my realm right now.

I stopped at a cool place near my house called Highmill Park. They have a CSA for veggies and meat,also have all kinds of animals, ducks, chickens, rabbits, sheep, alpacas, pigs and i'm sure there were more I didn't see. Heres their resident handsome man, he was shaking his feathers at all the chickens who would pass and not a one was intimidated or really even seemed to notice him. It was sad and very funny all at the same time. Check out their site at HighmillPark.com, they also have a blog. 

And I will leave today with this cute pic of mama and babies and my vets place.



No comments:

Post a Comment