Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Baggies and cake pans

Gardening season 2010 is underway! Holler! Ok then.

This year I bought some of those starter mix blocks that expand in water. I wanted to stay away from the little disks that expand because of the netting that they have on them. Every time I peel off that stuff a ton of root goes with it and planting it with it on isn't so good either. So here are the goods that were used today-






Instead of starting everything in the seed starting mix I wanted to try another method that I have seen people doing on the internets. Its basically just putting the seeds on a damp paper towel and putting in a ziplock. It's very easy and seems like it may make it easier to keep them warm until the germinate, instead of needing to keep a big ol' flat warmed. So I chose the celery and the sage for this. The sage so I can keep it warm easier and the celery because the seeds are so dang small I figure I can plant the little sprouts and manage them better. 




I was a little confused on which month it was when I was writing on the sage bag...


Next up I did the onions and the leeks. Im doing a red and yellow storage onion, last year I did red only and it dawned on me after buying so many yellows to make soup recently that I should grow these also.
I used cake pans from wal-mart to start them in. Two for 3 dollars, they previously held cupcakes for a benefit bake sale. I was going to use one pan and do half and half but decided against it and just used separate pans. I am almost positive I would have mixed them both all up and I don't really do well with having things unorganized. 
The leeks went into an old tupperware thing Don probably found in the trash somewhere. I put a piece of cling wrap over top so I can see exactly whats going on in there. I noted on each container what the dates are I should start to see germination so I don't have to guess. 



This concludes todays seed sowing experience. While trying so hard to get things to grow just so, this is going on in my veggie basket all on its own.



Guess that means I should pick up some garlic at the store next week. I may just plant this and see what happens.

And for some chicken talk, look at this specimen that got laid yesterday-


Someone was laying these tiny things for a week or so a couple months ago. I thought they were done. I kept a bunch and used them to make scrambled eggs. None of the had a yolk. Maybe they knew I was watching my calories??


No comments:

Post a Comment