Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Newspaper herb pots

Tonight I finally made some of the newspaper sprout pots that I have been reading about. Here are the supplies that I used.


I read in various places how to fold the paper and to me it seemed like the end result would be way to thick for the roots to grow through. So I cut the paper in fours and they are sturdy enough and not too thick at the same time, heres how I cut the paper.








So I took one piece and folded it in half, wrapped it around the container (I used a smaller one for now, I will use the soup can for the next size up). I left a bit hang over the end to fold over to create the bottom of the pot. You leave an open space on the bottom for drainage and so the roots can get out a bit too. The one in my picture is too closed!





I put the pots in a flat and pulled the paper towel sprouts out of the bag. This is my sage. I used a toothpick to make a small hole in the seed mix and carefully picked a sprout off the paper towel and stuck it in the hole. I put two in each pot. 



Here is the finished flat of sage seedlings.


As I was working on this project Molly was 'telling' me she didn't feel so well. I had scraped some plaque off her teeth a few hours ago so it may be that her mouth hurt. So I fed her some turkey vegetable and noodle soup to fill up her tum. Any time Mo's is feeling sick or I can hear her tum rumbling I fix her right up with some soup. Crisis averted, she sat next to me while I worked and eventually napped a bit.


I think I am going to sprout more of my seeds in this baggie method. It seems so much easier to just keep a little baggie nice and warm rather than a whole flat of dirt. It also seemed like they sprouted rather quickly. So as I start more of the other veggies and herbs it will be interesting to see if they all work as well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment